Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Movies...Good Ones.

So Tam, told us what she liked in a movie and Og gave us a riff on same...so here I go.

I like movies. I grew up in a fundamentalist Christian household [it didn't take]. I didn't see many until at sixteen I got a car and a job and started sneaking off to afternoon movies…lots. What makes a good movie: guns, swords, rayguns, cannon, violence, spaceships, bug hunts, guns, women [clothing optional], explosions, ass kicking, special effects, car chases, more guns.

I like good guys offin’ bad guys of any "ideology”: Nazis, Commies, Red Coats, terrorists, bureaucrats. I’ll watch anything with John Wayne in it even the bad ones. I like John Woo, John Ford, and Sam Peckinpah. I like John Travolta, Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, and Tom Cruise in anything they make as long as they fucking die painfully by the final scene.

I like movies that choke me up like Legends of the Fall. Ya know like when the family is reunited at the end after they shoot down the bad guys. I watched An American Carol the other night. I liked the bit where they off the ACLU zombies but Patton opening up on the singing left-wing academics [the functional equivalent of Nazis] with a BAR could only have improved it.

Actually my favorite movie of all time is The Quiet Man. No guns. No dead bad guys. But there is one kick-ass fist fight between John Wayne and Victor McLaglen. Oh yeah, Maureen O’Hara is in it too. That’s enough for me.

No comments: