Thursday, January 1, 2009

Big Head Press - Free Comics

I found this website a couple of years ago and more or less forgot about it. They had an adaptation of L. Neil Smith’s The Probability Broach which encouraged me to find and buy the hard copy. The Probability Broach is a favorite of mine as is Smith's The Nagasaki Vector. Vector had me laughing my ass off the entire read. Smith writes novels about libertarian utopias. I consider myself a libertarian, a right leaning one, but a libertarian. And that’s another post. Utopias are nice to read about, a nice dream, but…ain’t gonna happen in this universe. In Smith’s later novels the message started to overpower the story but I still liked his novels.

Back to Big Head Press. Smith has written two original graphic novels which are available online and free at this site. There are also other titles, some by long time writers in the comics field like Steven Grant and Mike Baron. All are as well done as anything you can buy in your local comics shop. None have a single superhero in ‘em. If you prefer hard copy [reading a comic book online is a royal pain], well, they’ll sell you that too. The Probability Broach is also still available at the site and it's still free. Please go check ’em out.

No comments: