Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Rise



My taste in music is odd. Most of what I like is something that was in the soundtrack of a movie that I liked. I hear Beethoven's Choral Symphony I think of Die Hard. The Man Come's Around by Johnny Cash? I first heard it during the final episode of the first season of The Sarah Conner Chronicles. The view from the bottom of the pool showing the HRT guys getting tossed in beaten, bloody and, well yeah...dead, with that playing did it for me. I developed a taste for the Kodo Drummers after hearing them on The Hunted [1995]. The sword fight on a bullet train between a samurai and ninjas worked for me. The drums rocked! The Cruxshadows' Winterborn? That's on John Ringo's play list of what he listens to as he writes. The song was on the soundtrack of a movie as well but the movie sucked. The song did not. I heard Rise when I was watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, 2nd Gig. It's the opening song. The song and imagery stuck. I don't know what the composer was trying to communicate with it and don't care. My take on it was duty and responsibilty. I liked it and still do.

Oh yeah. Lots of guns in the anime. Lots of violence. No Nazis.

No comments: