Friday, March 9, 2012

I couldn't wait until the weekend.

At 12:01 a.m. I was sitting in the theater waiting for John Carter to begin. A Princess of Mars was one of the books that got me hooked on the written word. It holds a special place in my life. I never really cared about Burroughs' Tarzan books, but the tales of Barsoom were grand and there weren't nearly enough of them. John Carter worked for me. I stopped hoping for movies as good as the books long ago. I'm happy if the film just gets the spirit of the book and characters right. John Carter is close enough to the plot I remember, and it does capture the spirit.

Lawdog, it don't suck. In fact, it's quite good.

Enjoy.

3 comments:

Sean D Sorrentino said...

I caught it today at the Cary IMAX in 3D. It was pretty cool.

kahr40 said...

IMAX would have been neat but #D drives me bonkers plus I'm cheap. 2D served well enough.

Anonymous said...

Saw it first showing also. Loved the Barsoom books back in junior high.

It worked for me, but I wonder if people who haven't read the books would be as entranced.