Thursday, March 1, 2012

Apples

#3 daughter is allergic to apples and has been since she was an infant. We've always been very careful to check the ingredients in what she eats and drinks and make sure there is no apple in it. That is a pain in that apple is in so much of what we eat. So when the family doc ran an allergy test on #3 the other day and the test came back negative for apples we were very hopeful. With the docs approval we planed a test, brought some gummies made with apple juice, and have spent the last two nights in the local ER. She is still allergic to apples. Thankfully, the symptoms were mild and she's gonna be fine, but that's what I've been doing the last two days instead of blogging.

2 comments:

Windy Wilson said...

Oh, man, my sympathies are with you on this. I get a bad vascular headache from pistachios, a lie-in-a-dark-room-with-an-icepack-and-moan headache, so I have some small glimmer of why this is a serious matter. One time, after having laid off the pistachios for about 10 years, I thought, why not see if I'm still allergic? So I ate one. No bad effects, so a few days later I ate another.
I won't be doing that again.
How is she vis a vis pears? Some things that don't have apple juice in them for sugar substitute have pear juice, like some flavored sweetened yogurts.

kahr40 said...

She's fine with pears and over the years we've found a variety of products that work. She doesn't really miss it. She's much better today. Thanks.