Friday, February 6, 2009

A new blacklist


David Codrea writes about the case of Betsy Ramsdale,a Wisconsin middle school teacher, who has suspended for posting a picture of herself, aiming a rifle, on her Facebook page. I can't say I'm surprised. Pissed? Yes. Surprised? No.

I know for a fact a local employer is now screening applicants' Facebook and MySpace pages. The pages offer a bit of insight into the attitudes of the applicant and questionable content is considered and factored into whether the application is accepted or denied.

Ramsdale's pointing the camera violates the one of the four rules: never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy. I'm not sure that concept even occurs to most people looking at the picture. It's the idea that she has a gun and it's an eviiil assault rifle and she's teaching our children. Oh. My. God! It is my hope that the ACLU of Wisconsin succeeds in tearing the local school superintendent and school board a new one.

No comments: