Saturday, February 21, 2009

Going Southern

The version of the old joke I always heard was a Yankee that moved to the South to live was a damn Yankee. If they moved here and voted they were a g**damned Yankee. My ex-wife considered herself a "naturalized" southerner after attending school down here and staying. Three years of residency in the South, a gun safe, some ammo, some wine and a trip to Wal-Mart are as good a set of requirements as any other. I'd add developing a liking for sweet iced tea to the list. And in that case I'd say Uncle is mistaken. You're now a "naturalized" southerner and a Yankee no more. Unless of course you want to turn the South into a mirror image of those enlightened liberal strongholds of New Jersey, Massachusetts, and New York City. In that case you're still a g**damned Yankee.

Xrlq congrats and welcome home.

1 comment:

ChuckAtPodunkOutpost said...

I use the term ASSimilated, myself. Been here since '86.