Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A bit of family history

My son asked me how Grandpa Owen and Grandma Erlene met. I was sure I had asked Mom myself but didn't remember the story so I asked again. Mom was working a a nurse at Duke Hospital. I guess the more accurate term was nurse n training. This was early in 1941. She had to have surgery for appendicitis and was at home to recover. At the time, she was living with her half brother Buddy and his wife, Lillian.

She had been told by the doctor to walk once the stitches came out, so she took a walk to see Lurlene Leary, a member of the same church that Mom attended. She said when she got to the house a young man was there getting ready to go out, and she thought he had the prettiest blue eyes. The young man, my Dad, was the Leary's cousin and was staying with them. He was recently home from the CCC and was working nights at a nearby laundry. Mom visited with Lurlene then walked home.

At church the following Sunday, Lurlene told Mom that Owen had asked her to ask if he could take her out on a date. Mom said yes. Nine monyths later, in December of 1941, they were married.

*They remained married until my father's death in 1981. In my mother's heart, they still are.


*Added 9/12/2012.



No comments: