Saturday, March 6, 2010

I heard all the health care horror stories...

...pulled out by the Democrats during President Obama's health care theactrical the other day. Here's my health care story.

My mother fell on Wednesday. She was trying to put her coat on when she lost balance and when to the floor. Fortunately my daughter was there at the time and called me. Before I reached the house Mom had used her medalert button to call for EMS. I beat them there. She wasn’t in pain but at 88 years old we decided a trip to the local emergency room was the safe thing to do. The paramedics showed up and agreed and Mom was off to the hospital. Once there we found she had no broken bones but they did discover her potassium was way too high so they kept her until they could get the level down. It looks like the antibiotic she was on combined with some of her regular meds to cause the problem. This also contributed to the fall. I’m very happy with the level of care Mom got at Duke Medical Center. Mom’s back at home today. Her current insurance is Medicare with a supplemental policy through her former employer. I’m uncertain she would have gotten the same level of care in the public systems of UK, Canada or potentially Obamacare. I know the level of care Mom got this time and in the past. I rather the twits in DC not fuck up a good thing up.

I'm not the most reverent person (note language above) and I don't carry my religion on my sleeve for the world to see. If Mom had not fallen we might not have known about the other problem until too late. I like the idea that a higher power was at protecting one of his faithful servants (Mom, not me) rather than dumb luck and I'm thankful.

No comments: