Thursday, March 4, 2010

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season Eight

I was a late comer to Joss Whedon’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I had seen the campy, crappy movie and thought little of it. So I let the first season come and go. At some point in the middle of the se3cond season I caught an episode, was hooked, and followed it and Angel to their eventual conclusions. Like a lot of genre television companion novel and comics books popped up. I was never attached to the novels. I looked at and never felt the need to read or collect. The art was generally nice but the stories didn’t really meet the expectations created by the series. Then came Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season Eight, a comic book. It continues the adventures of Buffy and the gang and is every bit as good the the original series. Joos Whedon oversees the production and I suspect the creative process of the series has been transferred to this new format. What was originally planned as 24 issues is now up to issue 33 and I understand a ninth season is planned. It’s good stuff. Yeah, I’d like to have the series come back to television but the likelihood was always akin to a snowball in hell. This will do and though the format has limitations they are less than you would think and you don’t have to worry about the lead actress opting out. The comic is published by Dark Horse Comics and the back issues are available in trade paperbacks.

No comments: