Thursday, May 16, 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness

I liked it. I really did. J.J. Abrams first Trek movie re-imaged the franchise. This one gives the same treatment to [SPOILERS] the best Star Trek movie ever, Wrath of Khan. In doing so, it tries for cleverness and makes way into "Oh Jesus Christ!" territory more than once. The reversal of Kirk giving his life [Don't worry, the solution is obvious before you even get to that part.] to save the ship and crew and Spock getting the "KHAN!" line. It's actually easy to forgive the obviousness of the film. Abrams is good at what he does and the cast is excellent.

The one change I'd have loved to see would have been near the end when Spock and Uhura were battling Khan. Spock was beating the ever loving crap out of him. Uhura tells Spock they need Khan alive to save Kirk. Ya see Khan's blood has special superhuman healing properties. Spock lets him live.

What should have happened? Spock should have looked at Uhura and told her, "There are 72 more supermen on the ship in cryrosleep. We don't need this one." Yeah. Yeah. I know. I can dream though can't I.

No comments: