Sunday, June 10, 2018

Recently Read

Conquistador by S. M. Stirling

I read this when was originally published in 2003. I'm fond of pretty much anything Stirling has written. I think the first book of his I read was Marching Through Georgia. In Conquistador, a wounded veteran of the Pacific War comes home and discovers a portal to a parallel Earth were North America was never colonized. He gathers his war buddies and they correct that and then agree to keep the secret by whatever means necessary. Sixty-three years later they and their heirs are still keeping that secret, and there the story begins. It's typical Stirling and highly recommended.

The Mad Lancers by Brian McClellan

This is a prequel novella to McClellan's Sins of Empire. He gives us the origin of Ben Stryke and the Mad Lancers. It is as good as anything else McClellan has written and that's pretty damn good. Again, highly recommended.

1 comment:

Veeshir said...

Marching Through Georgia and the sequels were good books that I'll never read again.
I don't like reading about horrible people doing well in the world.
I read the escape reality, not just see a different world that sucks in a slightly different way than the real one.