Sunday, June 28, 2015

Recently Read

David Weber's Sword of the South is the latest in the Bahzell series. I've not had the same level of interest in these books as I have his other series. It seemed a bit slow until the last third. Still, good and worth reading, but maybe not at the top of your stack.

Resistance: A Dave Hooper Novel by John Birmingham. Birmingham is a good writer and I've heard some compare it favorably to Larry Correia's Monster Hunter books. Larry's better, but these'll do until his next. Actually I wish Birmingham would get back to his Axis of Time universe. Oh, well.

1636: The Cardinal Virtues by Eric Flint and Walter H. Hunt is everything I expect from this series. Want more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weber has a tendency to get weighed down by politics. And while I applaud his attempts to add a little reality to his fantasy, the idea that in War Maid's Choice he staged a war in defense of a trade agreement and a transportation project left me a bit cold.

It's too bad really, because the first book in that series had real promise. Though by the 3rd book he had turned it into a fun-house-mirror reflection of the Honorverse.

kahr40 said...

As Weber series progress the books get thicker but less happens. Just saying.