Friday, May 2, 2014

Insanity

That’s what I call it. I was looking at eBay last night to see what a couple of comics books I own were going for. Amazing Spider-Man #300 was one of them. My copy is maybe in very fine to near mint minus condition. The Overstreet Price Guide puts its value at about $100. In my considered opinion their prices are inflated. If I sell one of my comics I usually drop the price about 30% and even that is usually too high for most collectors’ wallets. In the end any item is worth only what someone is willing to pay and for comic books that’s usually nowhere near Guide. Which brings me to this eBay listing, a CGC slabbed copy of Amazing Spider-Man #300 graded at 9.9 with a Buy It Now price exceeding $6000 with bids up to $3900. Holy jumping Jehosaphat! Thirty-one people have bid on this thing and someone is willing to pay close to four thousand dollars for it. This is for a comic book that they will never be able to read without eliminating whatever alleged value it has. These bidders don’t want the comics for the love of the medium. It’s a speculative investment. I WISH I had that much disposable income. Insanity.


 I went back to find the listing and get a link. Its gone. No idea if it sold or the seller ended the auction. Oh well.

No comments: