Saturday, November 30, 2013

The 'to read' pile is a bit shorter.

To Sail a Darkling Sea - John Ringo
Castigo Cay - Matthew Bracken
The Emperor's Soul - Brandon Sanderson
North Reich - Robert Conroy

Darkling is a Ringo zombie novel. What more need be said. Read it. Conroy's North Reich is OK. It is not his best, but it an OK read. Sanderson's The Emperor's Soul is a quick read and at the usual level of skill you'd expect of him. I've not read many of his novels. I'll need to correct that. I read Bracken's Enemies Foreign and Domestic several years ago. It was a first novel and as much as I enjoyed it, there were a few things that bugged me. I've haven't read the sequels yet and so can't comment on them. Castigo Cay shows how far he's come as a novelist and that's damn bloody far. I really liked it and look forward to any sequels.

2 comments:

jeff said...

Don't hesitate, if you can help it, to read the other two books in Bracken's EFAD trilogy. You're right that there were a few hiccups in the first book, but you'll be pleasantly impressed with how far his craft has developed in "The Reconquista" and FEAT.

Have you yet treated yourself to his short-stories, such as "What I Saw at the Coup", and "Alas, Brave New Babylon"? Available at his website, y'know, and recommended.

kahr40 said...

I've got them. They're in the pile. I'm working my way down.