Thursday, March 12, 2009

Not guilty? Amazing...

I had the shotgun to deter him from going any further. I thought of putting a shot in the air, but I didn’t intend to aim a shot at him.

“Clements said: ‘I’ll get my gun out before you can raise them barrels.’

Mr Batchelor told the court that Mr Clements had “smashed into the window”, knocking him backwards.

“I fell back and snatched at the trigger and the gun has gone off,” he said.

An armed intruder broke Kenneth Batchelor's home with the intent to do him harm and by sheer luck Batchelor shot and killed the intruder. His luck continued because the jury found him not guilty. Why was this luck? In North Carolina he wouldn't have even been charged. This took place in England where I thought self-defense was essentially illegal. Jury nullification? I doubt it. My vote stays with sheer luck.

No comments: