Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Usagi Yojimbo Art [Updated]

Stan Sakai writes and draw by favorite comic Book, Usagi Yojimbo, I missed the first couple of appearances in ALBEDO but still started reading him early in the run. I started buying the signed and numbered editions as they hit the shelves. I bought them to read. Things I like I want in hardcover so I can read it over and over. On the bookplate of each edition, Stan would draw a small sketch. I didn't get into buying art until 2014 and Stan's original art was mostly outside buy range if you could find it at all. I'd brag though that I had several sketches of Usagi by Stan and I did...in the books. Mostly I didn't think about them. I bought the books to read. The other day I purchased a finished drawing by Stan, Usagi with Clenched Fist which is posted elsewhere on this blog but also below. I started thinking of the sketches in the books and went looking. As the editions reached the twenties and thirties the sketches were mostly head shots with just a signature on the last Dark Horse Edition. These editions ranged from 500 to 1500 copies. That's a lot of sketches and a lot of time that could be put toward the comic. I'm thankful he put the time and thought into the sketches he did. All the work is nice but the earlier editions have some really nice stuff. I look for Stan's work on eBay and on dealer websites. These are much nicer than some of the convention sketches I see posted for sell. As I said elsewhere, I had riches and didn't realize it.

The remaining editions contained mostly head sKetches similar to those displayed already. There are plenty of examples already. No need to scan and post. Enjoy. 





Usagi with Clenched Fist by Stan Sakai

No comments: