Friday, July 26, 2019

Recently Read

Katusha: Girl Soldier of the Great Patriotic War by Wayne Vansant

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Vansant at the Heroes Con in Charlotte NC in June. Unfortunately, I had to wait to purchase this book. He originally published it in three volumes. This is an omnibus collection and the way to go if you want to read it and you should. He tells the tale of a Ukrainian girl during the war on the Eastern Front first as a partisan then as a tanker. The shear amount of research and love that had to go into every page of this book is obvious from page one. Beautiful work. It isn't a dry rehash of history. You truly feel what the characters must have felt. I couldn't put it down. Again, beautiful work. I haven't paid Mr. Vansant the attention I should have over the last few years. I intend to correct that. I hope he returns to the Con next year. I intend to be there with this book in hopes he'll autograph it for me.

1 comment:

Zendo Deb said...

Interesting premise. I may have to look into that.