Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Recently Read

Here Be Monsters and Stalin's Hammer: Cairo by John Birmingham

Both too short. OK, I enjoyed both. Cairo is an Axis of story that Birmingham is doling out one novella at a time. It's good stuff and I wish he'd just get the hell off the pot and finish it. Monsters is a taste of an alternative history I'd love to read. Again. stop teasing us John, and get to it.

The Legend of Caleb York by Mickey Spillane and Max Allan Collins.

Once upon a time Mickey Spillance wrote a screenplay for a western that was never produced. I don't read westerns. I've just never really cared for them. I do like to watch them. The source of this novel is pretty clear. It has all of the Hollywood Western tropes and, like Collins says, you can plug the actors of your choice into the roles. It was fun. I liked it, and may pick up the sequel. We'll see.

No comments: