Friday, May 22, 2015

Why I'll never buy another GM product.

GM’s claim is all about copyright and software code, and it’s the same claim John Deere is making about their tractors. The TL;DR version of the argument goes something like this:

Cars work because software tells all the parts how to operate
The software that tells all the parts to operate is customized code
That code is subject to copyright
GM owns the copyright on that code and that software
A modern car cannot run without that software; it is integral to all systems
Therefore, the purchase or use of that car is a licensing agreement
And since it is subject to a licensing agreement, GM is the owner and can allow/disallow certain uses or access.

I'm sure the other manufacturers are looking at this to see what the fallout is. There really needs to be negative fallout that puts GM out of business. What gun owners did to Smith & Wesson, car owners need to do to GM.

H/T to Instapundit.

4 comments:

kahr40 said...

What he said.

Anonymous said...

They lost my business with OnStar. I don't want or need them to monitor everything I do, thanks.

ASM826 said...

I was going to say I can't double boycott GM and I was done with them when they took a gov't bailout that they never intend to fully pay back. I was going to discuss the issues and suggest that Ayn Rand was right, even if she deeply needed an editor.

But the first comment blows me away with it's awesomeness and whoever posted it needs to stop being anonymous and set up a blog, become a columnist, and write a book. So, yea, what he said.

kahr40 said...

Probably should have titled it, "Another reason why I'll never buy another GM product." Oh, well.