Friday, December 27, 2013

Recently Read

Domestic Enemies: The Reconquista - Matthew Bracken
1920 America's Great War - Robert Conroy
1636 Seas of Fortune - Iver Cooper.

I can't help but think I've forgotten one. It'll come to me...eventually.

I enjoyed all of the books listed. The best of the three was Bracken's novel. The increase in his skill as a novelist between book one and two of this trilogy was dramatic. It is highly recommended. I like Conroy's novel, but they are highly formulaic. That's not necessarily a bad thing if you like the formula which, at the moment, I do. Cooper's book was a collection of stories already published in the Grantville Gazette. I hadn't read them so it was worth my while. Be warned.

UPDATE: 12/31/2013] In comments the author advised that most of 1636 Seas of Fortune was original material. My mistake.

2 comments:

Iver Cooper said...

In 1636: Seas of Fortune, the 7th "Stretching Out" story and all of the "Rising Sun" stories (totaling a little over half the word count) were new.

Stretching Out 1-6 were first published in the online Grantville Gazette.

kahr40 said...

I stand corrected. I enjoyed it quite a bit and look forward to your next.