Friday, March 18, 2011

Fuzzy Nation

One of my favorite writers, after only Robert A. Heinlein, is H. Beam Piper. His books are among those that I reread often and get as much enjoyment from them as I did the first time. One of favorites is Little Fuzzy. Turns out that John Scalzi has written a "reboot" of Piper's novel which will be released in May called Fuzzy Nation. I liked Scalzi's Old Man's War and it's sequels. I've not read his other novels pass the first couple of chapters. They just haven't appealed. The thought of any writer rewriting Little Fuzzy hits me the same as say someone deciding to rewrite Heinlein's Starship Troopers. Neither needs a rewrite or a reboot. They both hold up damn fine as they are. That having been said, I'll read Fuzzy Nation when it comes out, but Scalzi's decided to try and fill some big shoes. I'm not sure he can.

1 comment:

Sport Pilot said...

Fuzzy Nation's is supposed to be a stand alone parallel story occuring within the same timeframe of Little Fuzzy. I've purchased and read all of Schalzi's novel's on Kendel pertaining to the storyline from "Old Man's War" and like his writing style. I've also read Piper's work's and like them as well. Yep. I'll buy Fuzzy Nation's, I think it's a safe bet.