Saturday, June 26, 2010

The oven goes south.

My wife complained that the oven element was out the other day so off to the local parts store I go to buy a new one. She had talked to her Dad in Florida and he agreed that is what the problem was and my opinion wasn’t needed just go buy the damn part.

We get along so well.

I got the part and took out the old element and put the new one in. I didn’t turn the power off and got a spark in the process. The clamp that attached to one end of the element was melted so flicked the breaker off and I replaced it. I attached the new element and turned the breaker on. Nothing. Shit. I thought maybe I crimped the clamp on rubber instead of wire and so did it again. Nothing. Shit.

The next day I tried to Google an answer. After reading what little I could find on our particular oven it looked like I’d burned out the EOC board. Those things start at about a hundred and sixty dollars and go up. Shit.

My wife being a patient loving woman ordered me to call a repair person, which I did. They came out today and found not a burned out EOC but a loose wire. In pulling the element out the wire had come loose. The tab was seventy-five dollars and the repairman spent close to three hours at the house. These guys charge seventy-five dollars for the repair and the cost of parts. That’s even if they have to order the part and come back another day to do the repair. The opportunities to screw over a customer in such a situation are numerous especially with those who don’t what they’re doing, like me, according to my wife. So if you live in the vicinity of Durham, North Carolina and need a large appliance repaired I suggest you give these guys a try. It's the least I can do.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair
1551 Guess Rd, Durham, NC 27701
Phone: (919) 286-7980

No comments: