Monday, February 16, 2009

Dead Presidents' Day

I noticed Black is Right has a story about some guy who got pissed when Obama's picture was removed from a display announcing Presidents' Day. I'll let his bit speak for itself. I have a suggestion...

The holiday now know as Presidents' Day was originally Washington's Birthday. Sometime in the 80's Lincoln's birthday got pushed into the mix and some started calling it Presidents' Day. So it's really not Presidents' Day but Washington's/Lincoln's Birthday. I think we should change the name to Dead President's Day and use it to celebrate the accomplishments of those former Presidents that have since gone to their reward. And by reward I don't mean the "how to become a multi-millionaire" shtick the Clinton's have been engaged in since they left office. In other words, living breathing Presidents need not apply. If they are in such a hurry to get their recognition its, well...,correctable and entirely in their own hands. I'll leave you with this quote of the moment...
Statesmen are dead politicians. Lord knows we need more statesmen. - Opus the Penquin, Bloom County

No comments: