Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve

I don't enjoy Christmas as much as I used to. My wife insists on going on a spending jag for the kids whether we have the money or not. I don't know where that impulse comes from. I know her parents didn't spend lots on her and her sisters. Maybe that's it. Me, growing up I'd get a couple of toys and some clothes. If my parents spent $50 dollars on each of the kids I'd be surprised. The emphasis was on the original reason for the holiday: Christ's birth. Today I can't say I'm religious at all but more and more I see the wisdom of my parents. At least they didn't spend the three months after Christmas paying off the bills.

1 comment:

riflerider said...

I hear you loud and clear. My wife, although I love her dearly, does the same thing and basically puts us in debt for the beginning of the new year. could be worse than usual this year..........