Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Argggggg!

The oil pressure light on my van is coming on. I have a great mechanic who is happy to tell me how to fix the easy stuff myself. He suggested the problem was either the oil sending unit or the oil pump. So i went home, got my trusty Haynes manual , and looked up the sending unit. It wasn't listed in the index. I did find a reference in the troubleshooting guide. It sent me to chapter 2 where there is not one fricking mention of the damn thing. Arggggg!

Update: Corrected. The nice thing about gun bloggers is they are so damn helpful. Thanks Stranger.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd guess that if you have a Haynes manual for that van the parts are still relatively cheap, no? ;-)

kahr40 said...

Relatively.

kahr40 said...

Sometimes though a $12 part pushes the envelop much less the $300 for a catalytic converter. Oil pump kit $99. Don't really want to think about a new radiator. Like I said, argggg!

Stranger said...

Oil pumps are the best lubricaed part of the engine and will usually outlast the rest of the vehicle.

The most common reason my oil senders come on is a stopped up pickup screen. Drop and clean pan, stick new gasket kit in place with gasket cement or Permatex, clean screen, replace pan. Cost, two hours, a few skinned knuckles, and perhaps a few new curse words plus the cost of the gasket kit.

Although it's not a fun job in January, unless you can rent a heated stall, jack stands, and a pro creeper. Still not fun - but much more pleasant.

But you neglected to say what sort of van you drive. A net search for "Oil sender location" for whatever your wagon is will probably solve that.

Stranger

kahr40 said...

Stranger, thanks that sounds like a plan. I've got the tools and stands and midday in Central NC ain't that bad. At least I have a clear shot at the oil pan. Thanks again.