Friday, January 11, 2013

A Response From Senator Hagan

I also wrote Senator Hagan and this is the response.
January 10, 2013

Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the horrific tragedy that took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this issue, and my thoughts and prayers remain with the victims and families of this senseless and appalling act of violence.

In the wake of the shooting in Newtown, which left twenty-six innocent members of the community dead, many of them young children, Americans across the country are searching for answers on how we can prevent such tragic events from happening in the future. I believe we must do all we can to put laws and policies in place to prevent future tragedies such as this one. Doing that will require a common-sense debate on a comprehensive approach that examines all relevant issues, including access to firearms, mental healthcare, and the prevalence of violence in video games and media. Additionally, Senator Feinstein has stated her intent to introduce legislation concerning access to firearms at the start of the 113th Congress. To date, that legislation has not been introduced. As always, it is important that we not unnecessarily infringe on the legitimate Second Amendment rights of responsible gun owners.

Like you, I have always been an advocate for Second Amendment rights. My family, like the great state of North Carolina, has a long tradition of hunting and gun ownership, and I take great pride in that heritage. During my tenure in the North Carolina Senate I continuously supported the responsible use of firearms. As your United States Senator, I will always be committed to protecting these fundamental, constitutional rights.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. It is truly an honor to represent North Carolina in the United States Senate, and I hope you will not hesitate to contact me in the future should you have any further questions or concerns. If you would like to stay informed on my work in the Senate, you can sign up for my e-newsletter, follow me on Twitter at @SenatorHagan, or visit my Facebook page.

Sincerely,

Kay R. Hagan

John Richardson got the same boilerplate response and has his opinion. Sounds to me like she's spouting the Obama party line. The telling line for mewas "As always, it is important that we not unnecessarily infringe on the legitimate Second Amendment rights of responsible gun owners."

unnecessarily infringe

It's an enumerated right. All infringements of that right are unnecessary AND unconstitutional.

legitimate Second Amendment rights

There are no illegitimate Second Amendment rights.

Sounds like she is more than ready to ignore her responsibilities and stab gun owners in the back.

I got another email from Hagan's office saying their priority in 2013 was Constituent Services. If she, as I expect she will, votes to violate my rights, my priority will be to see her out of office in 2014.

1 comment:

Wolfman said...

I got one back from Sen Jeff Merkley (D-OR) that was pretty much the same letter, with a little bonus line on mental illness and some zomg! Gunshowloophole! Safe storage! For teh childrenz! Well, I'll post a response, but not holding my breathe to see an NRA F Rated Senator change tack. My other delegates, still no response.