Friday, April 3, 2009

We need more sheepdogs

14 dead and four critically injured in Binghamton, New York shooting

I understand the shooter had two handguns, a knife, and lots of ammunition. I was away from the internet today. What I know about this is mostly what I heard on the television and radio. What it apparently boils down to is a disgruntled asshole who recently lost his job decided to take it out on the innocent. The shooter's cowardice was apparent by his choice of targets and the fact that he took his life rather than face the consequences of his actions.

On the tube we got the usual talking heads. At least President Obama didn't use the incident as an opportunity to push an agenda. Vice President Biden on the other hand couldn't resist. He told a crowd of civil rights activists
that Americans must find a way to prevent the kind of bloodshed that erupted in Binghamton.".
I agree, but I suspect our approach would be somewhat different.

Biden, I sure would argue we need more restrictions on private ownership of firearms. Me, I think we need more sheepdogs. We need people armed and willing to put themselves in front of the wolves to defend the sheep. And I don't mean only cops. The sheepdogs are anyone willing to step up and put their lives at risk to defend another. We need to get past this suicidal idea that we as individuals have no responsibility to provide for our own defense, and that the police will do it for us. That what leads to mass shootings like Binghamton and Carthage. We need more sheepdogs.

No comments: