Thursday, July 5, 2018

Recently Read

Hail, Hail! by Harry Turtledove

This is a short story or a novelette. I don't really understand how that works out. At seventy-three pages, it probably is more of the first than the last, which means nothing at all as to the quality. I've not read much he's written since How Few Remain. I've tried but none have really grabbed me and, honestly, I think he's in a rut. I bought this on a whim. It's one of his alternate histories. The plot drops the Marx Brothers in Texas around 1826 during the Fredonian Rebellion. Lots of the Marx's standard play on words. He's got them down. I liked it. I think he was wise to keep the length down. Not enough here for a full length novel. Maybe I'll go back and look up some his novels I passed over. Maybe not. Highly recommended.

No comments: