Monday, February 5, 2018

What I'm Watching...

In comments, a reader recommended the anime Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There!, or just Gate, to me. The premise is a magical gate opens in downtown Tokyo and Western Roman Empire level warriors and some magical creatures attack killing many Japanese citizens. The Japanese Self Defense Force responds...and murders them. Some time later a Regimental Combat Team goes through the gate and is attacked by 60,000+ warriors and the JSDF...murders them. In soldiers versus warriors, soldiers win. Other stuff happens too. It's good stuff.

Sorry can't find an English dub.

4 comments:

Jeffersonian said...

come 2 teh dark sied
we haz catgirlz

Seriously though, give Yamato 2199 another try. I bet you quit at episode 14, The Whisper of the Witch. Many anime series tend to go off the rails halfway through with Weird Existential Stuff, but 2199 uses it as backstory and character development, and then gets right back on the rails. Episode 20, Under a Rainbow Sun, is particularly stirring.

kahr40 said...

It wasn't that I didn't like it, really. I just got distracted by other things and haven't gone back. If I can find the hard drive it's on, I'd start over.
I'm watching the Girls und Panzers, I like it. Also, Death March to a Paralell World Rhapsody, My Hero Academia, Occult Academy, and Drifters. I'm skipping around so I don't get bored. Hey, try the movie Your Name if you can find it. Excellent.

Zendo Deb said...

The one English Dub scene available is AWFUL. Don't even suggest people look for it.

But then English dubs of Japanese or Chinese anything are usually awful.

kahr40 said...

I'm usually fine with dubs of anime. Live action dubs suck.