Friday, January 26, 2018

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

I'm not a big anime fan. What I do like tends toward movies rather than series. I love the Studio Ghibli films and anything by Mamoru Hosoda. The anime series I like are Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Noir, Erased, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I'd heard good things about Fullmetal Alchemist but never had a desire to look at it. On a whim the other night I looked it up and found Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and watched an episode. I got hooked. Brotherhood is almost a page for page adaptation of the manga and works well. I even purchased the soundtrack, then started to watch the original adaptation to see what the differences were. When I get hooked, I get hooked. In my opinion, Brotherhood is the better of the two, but both are good. There are enough differences between them that you won't be bored by either.

3 comments:

Jeffersonian said...

Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199. Even better than the groundbreaking 1974 original of which it is a remake. Outstanding music, excellent pacing. Not sure yet about the next series, 2202, a remake of the 1978 series, presently underway. Different writer and director, maybe not the same quality as 2199.

Girls und Panzer. Surprisingly entertaining for what is essentially just another highschool-sports-drama. The first two episodes are kinda sluggish but then it really picks up speed. Sequel film series in Japanese theaters now, I think.

GATE. A second (or third depending how you count them) series is forthcoming.

Lupin III. A large franchise, a couple hundred episodes in four series, at least one spinoff series, a dozen or more feature films.

Cowboy Bebop. Samurai Champloo.

Planetes, and Space Brothers, the hardest science fiction I've seen in anime yet.

kahr40 said...

I started watching Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 and it lost me midway. I've intended to get back to it but haven't. Cowboy Bebop is hit and miss for me. I've watched some Lupin III but once again, it doesn't hold my attention. As for the others, thanks for the suggestions. I'll look them up.

kahr40 said...

Started Gate. That's some good shit there. Have you heard of Zipang. Follows the adventures of a modern Japanese cruiser throw back into WW2. I have it but haven't watched it yet.