Thursday, April 30, 2015

Recently Read and not.

With the recent Hugo bruhaha I decided to read some material from the nominated authors. I'm not voting on the award. I don't have $40 to buy a supporting membership. I got novels by Annie Bellet, Cixin Liu, John C. Wright and Ann Leckie. I honestly tried to read Leckie's Ancillary Justice, but ended up dropping it after I was about one fifth into it. I won't say the "gender neutrality" thing wasn't disconcerting 'cause it bloody well was, but mostly it bored me. I'm fine with formula. You just have to make it interesting.

What I picked up next was Sons of the Black Sword by Larry Correia. Also formula but Larry has a talent for keeping it fresh and fast and violent. Larry is never boring. It wasn't up to the MHI books. I can't quite put my finger on the why, but I have higher hopes for the next volume.

I'm now reading Ross Poldark by Winston Graham. I remember the original series on PBS in the 70's. it was probably the only thing, other than Doctor Who, that interested me on that network. Well, it's coming back so I thought I'd take a look at the original novel. I like historical fiction and so far it is holding my interest. I think Liu's novel is next.

No comments: