Saturday, August 23, 2014

Police and "military style weapons".

NYT poll: 65% of whites, 80% of blacks say police shouldn’t have military-style weapons
The issue I have with militarization of the police isn't with the toys they have with one exception which I'll get to in a bit. The problem is the police are paramilitary organizations and too many emphasize the military rather than the para. Police officers call the people they serve civilians like they themselves aren't. They see themselves as better than the people the serve. That's the core problem with this militarization of the police. I have no problem with law enforcement using armored vehicles to provide cover for officers during a riot. Same for semi-automatic rifles, military grade body armor, or helmets.

I do have a problem when departments use SWAT teams armed with these items to serve search warrants that are no more high risk than crossing the street. The problem isn't the equipment the local police have. It's the attitude that comes with it, and that's the militarization of which we need to be wary.

Which brings me to that exception I spoke of earlier. I DO have a problem with police having automatic and/or select fire weapons when the local population can't or they are so regulated that it is next to impossible for us "civilians" to get them. If I can't have a magazine that holds more than ten rounds they don't need them. If they need some item to defend themselves then an argument can be made that the "civilian" population needs them as well. Whatever regulation I'm subjected to should apply to the police as well, because they aren't above us. They are us.

No comments: