Friday, July 2, 2010

I've been putting this off...


Several weeks back I had my AR at the range and it fired multiple times with one trigger pull. While my initial thought was “neat” I quickly realized this wasn’t a good thing. I removed the magazine[ empty] and clearerd the chamber [nothing popped out]. I took the rifle back to the work area and pulled the rear pin so I could get a look at the internals.. It wouldn’t break open so I thought [using the term loosely] I might need to pull the trigger to release pressure on the hammer. By now I’m sure you guys see where this is going. I pulled the trigger, fired the weapon, jumped about 12 inches, and stopped cussing about 30 seconds later. The muzzle was pointed down and toward the pond [a safe direction] and only my pride and the concrete were damaged. That’s the story of my first and [hopefully] last negligent discharge. I'm relieved no one was hurt and embarrassed that it happened at all.

As for the rifle, I took it to a friend, who is also an armorer, and got it fixed ASAP. The hammer was out of spec.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BTDT ...

I was attempting to do some dry-fire drills. Dropped the mag from the Glock.

Didn't think I'd chambered a round.

Glock went bang, wife went apeshit.

The round penetrated the wall board, the sheet metal return air duct for the HVAC, and one side of a particle board bookshelf.

Luckily I was in the basement, so the neighbors were safe...