Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Guns and the Second Amendment

I'm a gun nut. I embrace the term eagerly. Others use it with the intention to degrade. But I'm a gun nut and a freedom nut, and a liberty nut and well you get the idea. I believe in the Bills of Rights: all of them. I will admit I hold the the Second Amendment a bit closer to my heart than the others. Why? The Second helps us protect the others. Guns are politics. Through the Second Amendment they serve as reminder to those in power that it is we, the people, who run the show. The right to keep and bear arms was intended to provide the people with the ability to just say no to government and make it stick. The simple fact is that you can't make an individual with a gun do a damn thing he or she doesn't want to. The most you can do is kill them.

Possessing a gun is a political act. This strikes me as why gun ownership is under constant attack in the United States and all over the world. Those in power, left and right, feel compelled to protect us from ourselves whether we want them to or not. They have to be in control. God forbid we control our own lives, tell the busybodies to go to hell, and have the means of giving directions.

Guns are politics pure and simple. Nothing more. Those that say otherwise are just trying to change the subject by misleading their audience.

So I'm a proud gun nut and you should be too.

No comments: