Sunday, December 8, 2019

Recent Additions

Jon Sable Freelance #34,p. 26 $27, by Mike Grell.
I'm not sure this is the case with all of Mike Grell's comic work, but my understanding is he would draw the page in pencil the ink over the pencils on mylar. I have the pencils and inks for two Batman pages where he did this. This is a two page spread done in ink on mylar. The pencils are in someone else's collection somewhere out there. The nice thing about eBay is those special opportunities sometimes appear where you get damn good art at affordable prices. This was a hell of a deal and the upside is I got a Jon Sable page for my collection.
Little Orphan Annie by Alan Kupperberg. Kupperberg was one of those artists I never really cared for. Mostly I remember his art in fill-in issues of various DC and Marvel comics. So, I was surprised how much I liked these pieces when I saw them on eBay.

We have here the inks and pencils for this piece. Kupperberg drew this page in pencil then scanned it and printed out a blue line copy of the page and inked it. This has become common practice in the comic industry. If you screw up your inks on the copy you have only to print another and start over. I guess Grell's mylar was for much the same reason.
Wolff and Byrd by Alan Kupperberg, inks on blue line.

No comments: