Saturday, October 3, 2015

Recently Read

The Cinder Spires: The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher

I tried the first novel in Butcher's Dresden Files sometime back. It was OK but I never returned to the series and have pretty much avoided his work until now. My daughter loves Butcher's work. She suggested I give it a try and with nothing better to read I did. Wow! It sucked me right in, and it was a read until done book. Now I'll have to go back and reevaluate his older books.

One Bright Star To Guide Them by John C. Wright

Didn't do a thing for me.

The Number of the Beast by Robert A. Heinlein

I read this for the first time in 1980 and never picked it up again. The hype has always been this was Heinlein's worst. I didn't enjoy it as much as his others and felt no need to read it again. After reading the Heinlein biography I decided to give it another try. If it is Heinlein's worst, it is still better than most of the science fiction currently being published. I enjoyed parts of it. In places it dragged. I doubt I'll read it again.

A Call To Arms by David Weber, Timothy Zahn, and Tom Pope

Couldn't put it down. My only complaint was there wasn't enough of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first novel of the Dresden files was his first novel. It had problems, but it had good characters - who only got better over time. Though the last novel was pushed in a few sections... it was still fun. (His original short-story was worse - it didn't get published until years later when the Dresden Files were firmly established. It would have been better if it hadn't been published.)

kahr40 said...

I just finished his short story published in Dangerous Women. Again, wow! definitely looking up his more recent work.