Sunday, December 12, 2010

American Exceptionalism

The Small Arms Survey estimates that there are 270 million privately owned firearms in the United States, which equals approximately .9 firearms for every American. To my mind, that’s a good start.

That number represents a large percentage of the approximately 650 million firearms in private hands across the globe. This is why Americans enjoy much more freedom, peace, and prosperity than so many of our brothers in other lands.
The figures cited are from a 2007 survey and are the mid-range estimates. These figures don't even take into account the rise in gun sales here in the U. S. when President Obama came into office and people who had never considered buying a firearm suddenly entered the market. So do I hear an AMEN from the audience?

H/T to Uncle.

4 comments:

John Richardson said...

It also means, as Uncle says, that there are some slackers! I'm doing more than my fair share to get this up to 1 per person.

kahr40 said...

I think I've already done my part but I'm always willing to step up and do a bit more. A .22 conversion kit for the AR is next.

Stranger said...

The problem with polling gun owners is that small test polls of known gun owners had a sub 50% positive response.

The total number of guns made and imported into the US since metallic cartridges were introduced is in excess of one billion. The total number still in serviceable condition is 600 million plus.

So the total is somewhere north of 2 per American.

kahr40 said...

Agreed. the survey numbers are guns per individual globally. That's .9 each. Either way I've done my part and ain't finished yet.